Monday, September 13, 2010

Survival of the fittest

I have been told that my parenting style, with all three children, is everything from over-bearing to playing favorites. I decided many moons ago that what happens in my four walls is my business and nobody elses. Since then, I have been a much happier person. All three kids are *extremely* different. Well, the boys are not to the extreme, but they do have their differences. All three have to be disciplined in different ways due to the behavior and/or ages. I am not a helicopter parent. Never have been. Kids need to be kids. Kids need to figure out differences on their own. Kids need to handle arguments and disagreements on their own. Now, when things get physical or super mean, I will step in, but it's survival of the fittest here! LOL
Okay, not really, but that's what I say on a daily basis. I think by not stepping in constantly and allowing kids to try to figure out things on their own it makes them stronger and more responsible individuals. Wow, it's quite a concept, eh?

1 comment:

  1. I so agree about the "let kids be kids and figure stuff out on their own". We too are like that and sometimes we feel as though we've left them to their own devices a little too long. BUT - we are there to break up the fights and sometimes guide the 'compromise'. :)

    ReplyDelete